Ready to start a business ? I have compiled a list of 5 best websites to sell online, and you can start whenever you want.
Marketplaces to sell items online are a great idea for boosting sales or starting a brand new e-commerce business. Online selling sites give them an opportunity to reach out to a various set of customers all around the world.
Those online selling sites that I’m about to show you are heavy traffic, and if you are looking for fast conversions, you should definitely opt for one of them. These top online sites have some sort of ready-made traffic and you should look at leveraging this traffic to increase your revenues.
This post will cover the basic and most important characteristics of these online selling sites, to give you a better idea of what suits you and which one you should go for.
Also, there’s a bonus for you at the end.
Before we jump into it…
Obviously, if you have ended up here it’s because you are interested in selling stuff online.
But before you get started investing your time and money into an online business, you have to make sure that selling online is right for you.
So, let’s have a quick look at the Pros and Cons of selling online so you can see clearly and make an informed decision.
Pros and Cons of selling online
♥working online is absolutely fun
♥you don’t have to worry about inventory if you don’t want (which is called dropshipping)
♥you can work, not only from home but wherever you wish to, as long as you have a computer and an internet connection. Make your own hours as well, no boss to suck up to, it’s pure freedom. Isn’t it amazing ?
♥you can follow your own interests. Whatever what you are passionate about, you can turn it into a profitable business.
♥Selling online has a very low barrier to entry, meaning almost anyone can give it a go.
×As a business owner, you will take on the roles of accountant, web designer, marketer and so on. This means you shoulder all the responsibility, and eventually, if something goes wrong you can only blame yourself.
×It takes time. Sometimes it may take one or several months to start seeing consistent results. So, don’t expect to make a sale during your first day. Patience is a necessity.
×You have to step up your game to sell online professionally because of the competition. You have to make sure you are one step ahead of those competitors. So, a learning curb needs to be done.
×You have to understand that it isn’t all passive income. Of course sometimes you will be dealing with regular sales, regular shipments etc, but you need to work hard to achieve it. to make it simple, this isn’t a get-rich-quick scheme.
Now you know the pros and cons of online selling, let’s jump into the description of each site.
1. Amazon : A major and cheap marketplace
There is 99% of chance that you have already heard of Amazon, maybe you have already purchased an item from this platform. Simply because it’s the world’s most visited website, offering millions of products across a range of product categories.
With Amazon, you are op tin into a very large marketplace that a lot of customers trust. With a large platform like this you need to think of it as getting a smaller slice of a larger pie, but the size of the pie means that you’re still getting a decent amount.
Amazon also uses a built-in algorithm that will show your product to people who might be interested in them based on their search histories.
Characteristics of Amazon :
- Amazon offers several perks for those who have paid for the prime membership, and all around great customer service which is considered to be an incentive to draw in more repeat buyers.
- Amazon is a large network with a very large range of product categories.
- Amazon is a traditional retail setup, and sales are instant with a fixed price.
- With Amazon, you can list for absolutely free, which is safe, meaning you have nothing to lose if a listing is unsuccessful. But you will pay $0.99 per item sold on top of the commission for the sale if you have of course a basic, free seller’s account.
Who is Amazon best adapted to ?
Practically anyone will be able to run a business on Amazon. Also, make sure that your prices are competitive enough to be an opponent without sacrificing too much of your profit margins.
Also, make sure you are selling the right products, because there will be others selling in large quantities making pricing very competitive.
2. eBay : The big daddy of the online auction sites
eBay is great for selling all types of products, such as used goods as well as brand new items. Something you have to know is that, with eBay, prices can be pretty low, so it can be hard to make profit for many products. So make sure to choose the right product when dipping into the eBay marketplace.
Characteristics of eBay :
- eBay is a very big marketplace that a lot of buyers trust
- eBay is essentially an auction house, so unless you choose to list your items as “Buy It Now”, people will bid to buy and it may take a week to sell an item.
- eBay charges sellers for listing on the site, regardless of success, as well as taking a commission when a sale is made.
- eBay isn’t so good about providing extra services to buyers, as it doesn’t sell anything itself, so it’s up to the sellers to make good on customer service.
- It can also be a great learning point where you can thoroughly understand the way you should work with users, how to sell a particular product, and so on.
Who is eBay best adapted to ?
eBay is best adapted to any merchant who have something to sell online, it can be old stuff as well brand new items.
Also, if you are just starting out on this marketplace, it’s always advisable to start slowly, understand the rules, and grow your business methodically.
3. Craiglist : The largest online classified website in the world.
Founded by Craig Newmark in 1995, Craiglist is an online website which displays various types of advertisement and one of the most preferred online selling sites.
It is a simple no-frills online selling site offering listing services free of cost. It is a forum of buyers and sellers, and as a buyer of course you have to manage everything right from sales and delivery.
Note that since it’s a forum, it’s means you are on your own as far as selling and disputes go.
Characteristics of Craiglist :
- Craiglist has a section where people aren’t looking to make money, they’re just trying to get rid of things they don’t want. You could keep an eye out for anything you can get and resell for a decent profit.
- It only charges for a small handful of post types like vehicles or job listing. And it’s totally free to list your products.
- On craiglist the risk is high because you are on your own, meaning no one else will get involved in disputes.
- On Craiglist your market is limited, because it requires you to sell locally, and often you need to arrange for pick up or drop-off of items.
Who is Craiglist best adapted to ?
Craiglist is most suitable for people who prefer to sell their products or offer services locally. This is a good option for selling products which are big or expensive to ship as they require personal handling and contact.
The great part with Craiglist is that you have the opportunity to personally meet the buyer, which is awesome because it creates a bond of trust for your products. You can get cash in hand and you don’t have to pay a shipping fees.
4. eBid : A marketplace to sell anything
eBid is an online auction website founded in December 1998. It is not well-known, so you would be selling to a small group of buyers.
It is absolutely a low-cost option, but the profitability is also low.
Listing a basic auction on eBid is free, and a small percentage final value fee is paid (around 3%) once an item is sold.
eBid is also available for both Android and iOS, so you can install and have the App.
characteristics of eBid :
- eBid is very cheap, a lower-risk option
- eBid is a trusted marketplace with a wide variety of products categories.
- It has an auction style format for product listings.
Who is eBid best adapted to ?
If, you don’t want a place to pay for listing your products, eBid should be great for you. Also, keep in mind that there’s extra potential if you have the ability to generate your own traffic using social media or forums, because the level of traffic on eBid is very low.
5. Bonanza : Easy selling platform to use
Bonanza has built a reputation as being a decent and reliable alternative to others. Its seller friendly policies has helped it to become a semi-popular online marketplace. It’s one of the easiest selling platforms to use.
The site has merchants and shoppers in almost every country around the globe.
Also, in the seller’s choice award, Bonanza has taken out the top rating for communication, and were voted the most recommended selling venue.
characteristics of Bonanza :
- Bonanza has easy to use import features for listings on Amazon, eBay and Etsy. Which is good because many online sellers like to list their products on multiple platform.
- It’s totally free to list an item on bonanza, and the average fee per sale is just 3.5%, which is awesome.
- Bonanza doesn’t make money until its sellers do, so you will see much higher profit margin.
- There is far less competition between sellers, and more chances for buyers to see your items.
- Bonanza is a fixed price marketplace, Which means buyers pay the listed price and that’s all.
- Every listing item on Bonanza is sent to Google and Bing, and sellers have the option to get more exposure by advertising their listing in other channel like Nextag, and Bonanza’s affiliate advertising program.
Who is Bonanza best adapted to ?
Bonanza is best adapted to anyone who have something to sell online.
Bonus : Your own website
Having your own store gives you greater freedom, less competition and absolutely no seller fees. You can use platforms like Shopify to easily set up an online store, or integrate a plugin like WooCommerce with your WordPress site.
Now if you are looking to start an online business but you have no experience at all, and you think maybe you are not ready to start an online store yet, the best thing to do is to start in a platform where you can acquire knowledge first, gain experience, build your business, and be your own boss…
Let me introduce you to Wealthy Affiliate : The largest affiliate marketing & online business community in the world boasting over 1.9 MILLION aspiring and very successful internet entrepreneurs. It is a platform that encourages engaging with new people, making connections, networking and creating friendships.
==>Wealthy Affiliate is my #1 recommended affiliate platform to make money online. If, you want to learn more CLICK HERE
If you have any question, please consider leaving it below in the comments section and i will get back to you as soon as possible.
Thanks for the support.